The goal of St. John’s Community Centre (SJCC) is to empower communities by effectively addressing root causes of poverty and injustices for the attainment of sustainable livelihoods. SJCC is working in partnership with Global Communities with the goal to improve the quality of life of 51000 orphans and vulnerable children (OVC) and their 17000 families by providing greater access to and uptake of quality health and social services in Nakuru, Murunga, Kajiado, Makueni, Machakos, and Kitui
SJCC is seeking a highly motivated and creative individual for the position of Communication and Administration Officer (C&A) for the USAID 4BETTERHEALTH Program - OVC activities in Kenya.
Location: Machakos, Kenya
Reports to: USAID 4BETTERHEALTH Program Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP)
The primary role is to be the communications specialist for executing communication tasks based on the approved action plan and strategy that supports the project’s strategy with strict adherence to the USAID communication, branding and marking requirements and those of SJCC. Will develop and implement the project’s communication, branding, marking, social media and mass media, events and publicity activities. Providing communication technical support and communication templates to the implementing partners (IP’s) to ensure credible and quality communication and documentation is done. Designing, production and dissemination of information and communication materials. Manage the project’s website, while securing photos and videos in virtual depository. Managing the communication budget and participating in resource mobilization activities. Maintain project documentation in both physical and electronic formats. Schedule and coordinate donor and partner meetings and major project events. Identify and employ the best and most cost-effective communication tools. Coordinate the provision of ICT support services to the head office while supporting the IP’s in setting up their own ICT support system. Assisting the Chief of Party in administrative tasks as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
The C&A Officer should have the following professional skills and qualifications:
• University Degree in, public relations, Communication, Journalism and related field
• Have knowledge/skills in information technology. Certification in Microsoft, Linux, or Cisco is advantageous
• 3 to 5 years proven knowledge and experience managing communication and public relations for Development organization.
• A minimum of 3 years of experience implementing communication activities for USAID-funded projects related to health and OVC.
• Must have excellent computer skills including the ability to operate word processing, desktop publishing and other creative computer packages, website and social media.
• Have experience in identifying hardware and software solutions, troubleshooting technical issues, diagnosing and repairing faults, resolving network issues, installing and configuring hardware and software.
The C&A Officer should have the following personal skills and qualifications:
• Ethical conduct according to recognized professional and organizational codes of ethics.
• Professionalism and integrity in all work and communications.
• Proven skills in photography, video, editorial and writing skills as well as excellent presentation and facilitation skills.
• multi-tasker who enjoys multiple, simultaneous challenges.
• Demonstrated team work skills with excellent interpersonal and cross-cultural skills.
• Self-starter and self-motivated, hardworking, creative, passionate for quality of work
• Reliable, with proven analytical organizational skills, including time-management, adaptable, resourceful, innovative and results-oriented.
• Good Public Relations, Marketing and communication skills
• Willing to travel to program sites throughout the area served to support the program.
To Apply: Send email with the following documents attached to: Sarah Karanja, [email protected]
1. Cover letter that explains why you think you are well-qualified for the job
2. Resume or CV showing the necessary qualifications, skills, and expertise
3. Three professional references (including email and phone numbers) for current/past work
Note: It is important for candidates to follow these instructions to be considered for the position!
Applications must be received in the mail by 5 pm on Monday 31st May 2021.Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
NB: Canvassing will lead to disqualification.